Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Julie & Julia & Jessica



So, I FINALLY saw Julie and Julia and L-O-V-E-D it!!!!!! Super loved it in fact. I was even smiling the next morning when I woke up. I think I will have to go see it again before it leaves the theatre.  Such an affirming tale of following your passions and being a great companion.  Loved it!

I got out my copy of the Mastering the Art of French Cooking and chided myself for never, ever making a single thing out of it! Yes, I was totally intimidated.  I think I will start with the hollandaise they featured in the movie-did that look amazing or what?! I remember her talking once about how ridiculous it was to buy mayo at the store when you can make a superior one "effortlessly" in your own kitchen! 

It has finally cooled down in this forsaken town. This is my take on a Finnish Soup recipe given to me by a friend.


Yes, I loved seeing the girls use their Le Creuset!

Jessica’s Finnish Salmon Soup

1 box fish stock

1 box chicken stock

1 onion chopped

1 large sweet potato, chopped

1lb of salmon

Handful of shrimp

1 cup frozen peas

Dash (or more) lemon juice

Dill taste

Handful Green onions

1 cup or more Half and Half (if desired)

Get stock to a boil and add onions and potatoes and cook till tender. (could sauté onions before adding stock if desired) Add salmon, shrimp and peas and simmer until done. Add other seasonings and viola! This tastes great with or without the cream- the seafood stock makes it really flavorful and satisfying.


Avec Half and Half

Although I don't plan on any aspics, (chilled meat molds anyone?) I can't wait to see what I can drum up this fall out of Julia's creations.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I've been wanting to see that movie, I'm glad it was great. Your soup looks awsome

Carrie said...

MMMMMmmmmm....chilled meat molds. That sounds, what is the word I am looking for? No, not yummy. Yack-tastic! Yes, that's it.

I don't even know what Le Creuset is. Can I buy one at Wal Mart?

Toni said...

I want to be like you when I grow up, speak french while I cook exotic things for my family. Looks so good!

Holly and Chris Kneeland said...

I have not seen that movie yet! I want to see it so bad! Lets go next week!