Sunday, June 29, 2008

I'm Drinking the Kool-Aid

Had our first foray into the soccer party this last week. I have to say, I think I have spent a considerable amount of time waxing eloquent about the ridiculousness of the "everyone wins, we don't keep score, you can do no wrong" yada yada in schools and in sports these days. It has been churning out a bunch of slackers who can't cope with reality and don't realize what it takes to succeed and yes, you won't do well at everything you try.
And then we had the trophy ceremony for MY kid. (Let me remind you, the new kid, and let's just say, definitely not the best on the team)

When that coach held up that (rather large) trophy and presented it to Ian, I have never seen such an incredible reaction from him. He literally had sparkles shooting from his eye balls! He felt he had really accomplished something. Soccer had been hard for him after all. You know, jumping into his teammates way, trying to remember which way they were shooting the ball...

So, I have to swallow my words when it comes to soccer for a 5 year old. I hate to say it-I got misty eyed. He went out and tried something new. Wasn't great at it. Got a kickin party and trophy for at least trying.

Techicolor cupcakes rock!

5 comments:

Bridge said...

You found me in the blogosphere! So fun getting caught up on your life and your boys.
You know I just got called as Enrichment Leader in my ward. And my first thought was "I wish I could swap ideas with my party planner friend Jessica!" Miss you guys.

Debbie said...

Well said! And I completely agree. The GLASA trophies were huge this year. I couldn't believe KT's.

Carrie said...

Holy giant trophy, Batman! Good job, Ian, for giving it a go!

Jane said...

I was amazed at the size of trophy James got...they were huge! It sure made for a happy boy!

Stephen + Lauren Reber said...

Wow- that is some trophy!! Your first paragraph reminded me of a Michael Savage except I caught on the radio the other day!