My mom and I were able to excape to Houston and spend some time together and it was so much fun! We have never really done anything like this before and I could not believe how liberating it was to do whatever I wanted and not even have one poop related conversation!So WHY Houston you ask??? My old friend from High School, Garrett Sorenson is an opera star (I'm not kidding, google him!) and we had to see him in action!

Being a novice opera goer I highly recommend La Boheme. It was actually very enjoyable! I didn't feel like scratching my eye balls out once! The dialogue was witty and the music was beautiful and several songs were recognizable. It was funny to realize the goofy lyrics that we are oblivious to in romantic movie scenes with the Italian music playing in the back ground...
The moons were aligned that night for when we went to our seats (high in the balcony) we were offered a free upgrade to Orchestra. I asked, "is that good?" and the usher was "YEA!" Like Hello, the best in the house chica! So we didn't need our opera glasses after all and I got to hear old, wealthy men yell Bravo! at the end. I have to say there was a moment towards the end of the first act when Garrett's voice was lifting the roof, that I felt teary eyed contemplating his talent and success. I have heard him sing a million times at church and school and put make-up on his bald head for his Daddy Warbucks role in Annie. How great is it to see someone do what they love professionally?!
I have to say, waiting to go back stage with the benefactors, opera groupies and other fruity folks (I love the arts!) it was so fun to get have Garret whisk us away and ignore all the other people who wanted to talk to him. Yes, this is a picture of us going to his Junior Prom!!
This is included for sheer freak out factor. Yes, this is the actual Tom Servo from Mystery Science Theatre 3000. If you don't know what I am talking about then that says a lot about you and a costumer that bought it and carries it around with him back stage.
This is Garret and his wife Elisabeth (also an opera singer) and thier super cute new baby. They are so happy and are able to both work by switching off operas in thier schedule. (Did you know that they get thier jobs 2 years in advance??)
I have to say, waiting to go back stage with the benefactors, opera groupies and other fruity folks (I love the arts!) it was so fun to get have Garret whisk us away and ignore all the other people who wanted to talk to him. Yes, this is a picture of us going to his Junior Prom!!
This is included for sheer freak out factor. Yes, this is the actual Tom Servo from Mystery Science Theatre 3000. If you don't know what I am talking about then that says a lot about you and a costumer that bought it and carries it around with him back stage.This is Garret and his wife Elisabeth (also an opera singer) and thier super cute new baby. They are so happy and are able to both work by switching off operas in thier schedule. (Did you know that they get thier jobs 2 years in advance??)
So, thanks to my super cool mom who dreamed the dreams and make it all come together! I am so lucky to have her!


4 comments:
What an awesome trip! How fun to have a famous friend like that :)
PS- We missed you at book club on Tuesday--I feel like it's been ages since I've seen you. We live so close though, we should get together sometime.
You lucky girl. What a great time with your Mom. I'm an opera novice as well, but it's something I definitely want to experience some day. Doesn't a break from the routine feel great? Good for you to get away!
Hey! I remember that junior prom dinner....that takes me back! And hello? The real Tom Servo?! That is too freaking awesome!
"...you will only find evil here!"
Okay, I'm going to have to call you for a full report.
Post a Comment