Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Blad is Back Baby!!!

SO, I have been neglectful to put it... mildly. I have had thoughts and experiences but have abandoned my poor blog as my insane life has marched on. BUT! No more! With new photo software in hand I pledge to do better! (The comment on my last post from Carrie was too much!)





What have I been up to you ask?????







Canning Peaches! Is that sick or what?





Thanks to friend Nicole, I have learned the whiles of the Texas Peach. Her husband grew up basically on a farm in Idaho with his 11 brothers and sisters, eating fresh EVERYTHING and helping can the summer sweetness for the coming winter. What I love about Nic is that there is no compromising for quality!! Hence, a 3 hour journey (total there and back) to Corsicana to buy the BEST peaches from a wonderful family at Cooper Farms.






I had some of these last year and the juice was literally running down our arms. I had to beat the boys off them from eating them all the first day. This time we had a box to enjoy and pigged out and then went to work!





Now I certainly am not doing the kind of damage that serious canners do. Without the availability of an overflow of fruit, I don't have the urge to preserve those folks do. However, I was so inspired after reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. The whole idea of truly enjoying what is in season and then storing the surplus for when it is not was a revelation to me! Now, if I could only get that surplus-stay tuned for a lamenting about my organic garden foray this summer. I do love the idea of having control over what we eat and the quality is SO much better.

My foodie friend Amy is always saying she was born in the wrong time period. I tell her no way in you-know-where. But I understand what she means. It really was so enjoyable to be reflective and work with my hands and produce something. Minus the long skirt, lack of air conditioning and skin care products.


My Beauties

Here they are in all their glory! I am so pumped that all the lids are silver this year. They looked sell-able! Let's see, gas, effort, materials, love in every bite...50 bucks a jar!!

Any takers?

6 comments:

Debbie said...

They look just peachy! I love fresh, sweet peaches. I'm so impressed with all your hard work.

Ashley said...

I'm glad you are blogging again! Great job on the peaches.

Carrie said...

A bargain at any price. I think you hit the nail on the head for why I've never tried canning. No orchard = no surplus. No surplus = trip to farm. Trip to farm = more money than I bargained for = $50 a can for peaches. What's a girl with a tiny yard to do?

I'll tell you what! Plant one tomato plant and 2 basil plants and enjoy bruschetta, capellini pomodoro, and pizza margherita so yummy you could cry. At least that's filling the back to the earth void in my own life. Of course, if my two citrus plants ever start producing I'll have my own mini-orchard. I'm not sure how you store surplus oranges and limes, though.

And can I just say how happy I am to see you blogging again!

Anita Robbins said...

That is wonderfully industrious of you. They look marvelous and yummy.

Jane said...

They look almost too good to eat. I'm sure they will be enjoyed on very special occasions. I tried canning peaches years ago. After that experience, I didn't want anyone to eat them because I'd worked soooo hard....

Holly and Chris Kneeland said...

Oh I should have been their canning with you! Dang that summer school and having kids around all the time!!!